Friday, July 24, 2026

When I get to learn about things I'm interested in

Hey, y’all!!

Okay, so I recently just watched The Odyssey, and it got me thinking (about a lot of things lol). 


One, I’m in love with mythology–anyone who knows me can attest to that. There are, of course, some things I was disappointed that he took out. I was absolutely dying to see the nobody scene play out. And I was sad–but not surprsied–to see Nolan’s depictions of the women in this epic. I wouldn’t say this is what I completely wanted out of an adaptation of The Odyssey, but I can’t deny that it was wonderful cinema. I think the overarching theme of the weight of war and the consequences of man’s actions on the world was interesting and a nice tie into Oppenheimer butttt I personally would’ve loved to see more of the complex character that Odyssesus is. Unfortunately, he is not a perfect hero–no matter how much Nolan wanted him to be. 


You’d be surprised to know that this was actually not the main point of this post when I started writing lmao. But nonetheless I thought I’d keep it in to share if anyone’s got some thoughts!


My actual point was, once again, I love mythology–and with that, I absolutely adore history. I’ve gotten to take an ancient mythology course this summer during my first semester and boy let me tell y’all, I am having the time of my life. I’ve learned about Greek, Roman, Mesopotamian, Chinese, Israelite, Ugaritic, Hittite, and Mesoamerican mythology. It’s so interesting to see how cultures affect these stories, and I honestly think I could yap about what I’ve learned for eons. And of course, it’s been very interesting learning about how a lot of these cultures interacted and influenced one another. Like the Epic of Gilgamesh has influenced soooo many cultures because it’s such an old piece of writing!! We get to see what these cultures deemed important–and through exciting stories.


And if I love mythology that means I love history because inevitably, the two are intertwined. Though an unpopular opinion with my peers in high school, I loved my history classes. I follow numerous creators on tiktok that are sharing snippets of the world’s history. There is just sooo much to learn about. My major require me to at least have a minor, and I’m honestly really debating on whether or not to choose history. I also think history calls to me so much because I just love to learn. While going to school wasn’t my favorite (education system is just yeouch sometimes), I was always enamored with learning. I don’t really know how to explain the feeling but it’s just this big salad of excitement and anticipation and intrigue and I don’t even know. Anyone else feel like this? (towards anything honestly)


But I think y’all have heard enough from me today lol so toodles!


Xoxo

Kenny✨🌀


No comments:

Post a Comment

if you're feeling artistic :)